Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Writing Life

Hey everyone!  I am thrilled to announce that I won the Len Cullen Writing Scholarship!  There is a world of talent in this region, and I am so honoured to be recognized by my writing peers.  I can't tell you how delighted I am. 

Accordingly, I plan to attend the Ontario Writers' Conference on April 30.  I hear there is a picture of me with Wayson Choy at last year's event on their web site, but I was not able to get into his session this year, so kudos to those who did.  Still, there is plenty going on there, so I am excited to be attending.

I also read at this year's Literary Council Festival, and those who attended heard an excerpt from my new novel, 'In Service of the Queen'.  This is a worthwhile and important event, and I was pleased to contribute by making a donation. I also had the pleasure of hearing Susanna Kearsley read from her new novel, Rose Garden, and I loved it!  I attended Susanna's book launch last night, to a room full of over a hundred fans, and bought her new book.  As always, Susanna was gracious, funny and articulate.  I really enjoyed seeing her again!

My next writing event is the Robyn Read workshops!  As you know, I am the Workshop Coordinator for WCDR, and we have organized a series of workshops with the Acquiring Editor of Freehand Books.  These sessions are a rare opportunity to meet an established publisher and discuss your work.  I am looking forward to discussing Wings of a Fly with Robyn.

After that, there is the Historical Novel Society conference in San Diego, which I am attending in June!  That promises to be a wonderful experience, and I cannot wait to get there.  And yes, I am attending the Saturday night session . . . but will not be reading . . . look it up, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment